Published: Sun, July 15, 2018
Worldwide | By Stella Potter

Boys, coach rescued from Thailand cave to be discharged from hospital Thursday

Boys, coach rescued from Thailand cave to be discharged from hospital Thursday

A screen grab shows boys rescued from the Thai cave wearing mask and resting in a hospital in Chiang Rai, Thailand from a July 11, 2018 handout video.

Samarn Kunan, 38, a former member of the elite navy SEALs unit, was the only casualty in a multinational operation to save the boys and their coach after monsoon rains trapped them in the cave they were exploring in northern Thailand.

Thai authorities are planning to turn the cave into a "living museum" while the idea of turning the rescue into movies has also been mooted.

"Coach Ek told the boys to build a wall to block the water but to no avail because the water ran very strong and fast".

Concerns over mental health extend to the team members themselves.

All will be discharged from hospital in the northern town of Chiang Rai on Thursday, he said.

The boys, aged between 11 and 16, and the coach, 25, had been trapped in the flooded Than Luang cave system for more than two weeks. Everyone appears emotionally and mentally well, but doctors said they are most concerned about the children being able to grow up without any repercussions from their ordeal.

A hospital statement said that as the boys continue to recover, they remain susceptible to infectious disease.

"I want to have crispy pork rice and barbecue pork rice", 15-year-old Pipat Photi said in the video.

The world remains fascinated with the rescue of the "wild Boars" football team and their coach from a flooded cave in Thailand.

He had left the Navy to work for Airports of Thailand Plc as a security official at Suvarnabhumi airport and was taking time off from work to help his former Seal colleagues with the rescue mission. Nearly immediately after they entered the caverns, a torrential seasonal downpour flooded the systems behind them, trapping them deep within the caves. "He told me that as soon as they finished practice they went to play at the cave. Regarding infections, through the medical evaluations in the first days there may be some of them that had minor pneumonia, but now all is cleared, no fever", Dr Piyasakol said.

After they didn't return from their hike, Thai officials launched an extensive search-and-rescue operation involving well over 1,000 people, including specialists drafted from various nations such as Australia, China, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The boys were discovered in the cave after surviving for 10-days with little food and no shelter, and required a delicate and methodical plan to get them out of the cave safely.

Like this: