Published: Wed, July 11, 2018
Worldwide | By Stella Potter

First boys emerge from cave

First boys emerge from cave

Speaking to reporters at a press conference in Mae Sai, a small town near Thailand's border with Myanmar, rescue mission chief Narongsak Osottanakorn confirmed that four boys had left the cave.

The other eight players - and their coach - will remain underground and be rescued tomorrow, the state-funded news agency said.

"The operation today went quicker than when we rehearsed, 10 minutes quicker", he said, according to CNN. He said officials were meeting Monday morning about conducting the next stage of the operation.

Osatanakorn said efforts to remove floodwater and divert water flows have been "very successful", but seasonal monsoon rains forecast to hit the region this weekend and throughout next week. "And it is up to the environment".

Musk then started brainstorming ideas to help via tweet.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, leader of the Thai military junta that seized power in 2014, planned to visit the cave site on Monday. "We should learn from this experience to prevent it from happening again".

The boys, aged between 11 and 16, went missing with their 25-year-old coach after football practice on June 23, setting out on an adventure to explore the cave complex, reportedly for a picnic to celebrate one of their birthdays, before being trapped by rising waters from bursts of monsoon rain. The group was found by British divers after almost ten days. As of last night, even the parents of the boys had not been told who had been rescued, one mother told our reporter Michael Safi.


Narongsak, who is heading the operation, said earlier Sunday that 13 foreign and five Thai divers were taking part in the rescue, and two divers were to accompany each of the boys, all of whom have been learning to dive only since Monday, when the first searchers found them.

Authorities have said the boys are being held close to divers and wear oxygen masks to enable normal breathing.

"The rescue has been enormous", said volunteer helper Somjit Saenset, 56. I'm happy being here inside, the navy SEALS have taken good care. "I want to send my moral support for all involved" in the rest of the mission. The four freed boys have been transported to the hospital, where they will be reunited with their families.

The team of worldwide rescuers prepare to enter the cave in Mae Sai, Chiang Rai province, in northern Thailand on July 5, 2018.

A source at the Chiang Rai hospital said that five emergency response doctors were awaiting the boys and a further 30 doctors were on stand-by. Officials said the healthiest of the boys have been taken out first and the rescue operation is going better than expected, Independent.co reports.

"We have not been told which child has been brought out".

To ensure a clear path for getting evacuees to the hospital and to safeguard their privacy, authorities ordered the media to move away from the cave before the boys came out.

Like this: