Published: Mon, July 09, 2018
Sports | By Angie Alvarado

Four boys rescued from flooded Thai cave

Four boys rescued from flooded Thai cave

The story of the "Wild Boars" soccer team, who first ventured into the caves more than two weeks ago before flood waters trapped them inside, has gripped Thai and worldwide media.

Chiang Rai provincial acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, the head of the rescue operation, said divers will need about 10 hours to prepare for the next phase of rescue, but that the operation was going "better than expected".

In a letter of his own, coach Ekapol Chanthawong apologized to the boys' parents for the ordeal. We will have to do the next mission as successfully as the one we did today'.

But Saturday night, he tweeted that the cave was now closed for the rescue by divers.

Another official involved in the rescue operation said the initial six who had been saved formed a first group.

The operation to rescue the Thai football team trapped in a cave has begun this morning.

"People don't understand how much gear these guys have", Zweig said of the rescuers.

Thai Navy SEALS confirmed on Facebook that the fourth boy had made it out at about 7:55 p.m. local time.

The boys were found inside the cave by British rescue divers on Monday, about 4km (2.5 miles) from the cave mouth.

When they come out of the cave, Heidler said, they will go straight into a waiting ambulance.

The area outside the Chiang Rai hospital was cordoned off by police.

The Thai Navy said Saturday three navy SEALs, one a doctor, were with the boys and coach. The other boys have not been identified yet. Narongsak said the four were then taken to a hospital.

Two divers would accompany each boy, guided by rope.

This is a hugely high-profile rescue attempt and Thailand knows the world is watching. As of last night, even the parents of the boys had not been told who had been rescued, one mother told our reporter Michael Safi.

Officials say it could take between two to four days before all the boys are evacuated.

Officials did not clarify this morning whether the complex effort to dive the team out of the kilometres-long Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand had started.

Of the 13-strong foreign dive team - mainly from Europe - three were escorting the children, while the remainder were positioned along the risky first kilometre stretch, where the boys will have to navigate through submerged passageways in some places no more than two feet wide.

"They've been raining for the last four to five hours and the concern is that water is running straight back down into the cave and there are big concerns that that could in some way hamper this rescue effort".

As oxygen drops below the lower threshold of the optimal level, the body begins to undergo changes and may face the serious risk of hypoxia, the condition that causes altitude sickness, according to OSHA.

President Donald Trump on Sunday took partial credit for the rescue of several of the dozen young Thai soccer players who managed to get trapped in a flooded cave.

Like this: