Published: Wed, July 11, 2018
Worldwide | By Stella Potter

Second Phase Of Thailand Rescue Pulls 4 More Boys From Cave

Second Phase Of Thailand Rescue Pulls 4 More Boys From Cave

A Reuters witness near the Tham Luang cave in the northern province of Chiang Rai saw medical personnel carrying two people out of the cave to waiting ambulances on Monday evening.

The total number of boys rescued from the cave during a rescue operation that started on Sunday was eight.

The rescued boys were airlifted to the Chiagrai Prachanukroh Hospital in Chiang Rai after initial treatment at a field hospital near the caves, and the four boys rescued Sunday were said to be "in good condition".

On Friday, the death of a former Thai navy SEAL underscored the risks.

Five more boys, including the coach, are still trapped in the Tham Luang cave.

The boys are said to be generally in good health but doctors are still evaluating whether they could have picked up any risky infections, such as the potentially lethal leptospirosis, while inside the damp cave for two weeks. All but the last of the boys rescued today have reached the top provincial hospital 60 kilometers away. "And we will do it faster because we are afraid of the rain".

Another two more boys left the cave complex a short time later followed by the fourth boy.

The parents of the boys have maintained a constant vigil outside the cave since they went missing, praying for their safe return.

The journey had taken as long as five hours from the part of the cave where the boys are to the exit when the water level was high and the current was strong, but that was down to around 2 ½ hours by Sunday, Karadzic said.

"Doctors have treated the boys, and now all of them are OK and cheerful and are talking normally", said Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the Thai Ministry of Public Health.

Thai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn described the first rescue as "our masterpiece work" and claimed the four rescued boys were in "perfect" health - despite earlier reports that one was being "closely monitored". Four more boys and the coach remain in the cave.

Onlookers cheered, "Hooyah moo pa!" - a reference to the name of the boys' soccer team, Moo Pa, or Wild Boars.

Rescue divers have headed back inside a flooded cave complex in northern Thailand to rescue more members of the stranded soccer team - and appear to have made their first rescue of the day. On Monday night, Musk posted on Twitter that he had "just returned' from the still-flooded cave, with photos of the rescue site where a team of swelling worldwide experts have been working around the clock since the team was found".

"This morning they said they were hungry and wanted to eat khao pad grapao", he said, referring to a Thai dish of meat fried with chili and basil and served over rice.

The fate of the boys and their coach has gripped Thailand and drawn global media attention.

Rescue workers dived deep inside a flooded Thai cave for a second straight day on Monday in a treacherous bid to save a trapped group of young footballers, with the mission chief promising more "good news" after four of the 13 were saved.

Narongsak said ahead of the rescue dive that recent mild weather and falling water levels had created optimal conditions for an underwater evacuation. A family member told CNN Monday that they hadn't been told which boys had been pulled out, and who is still trapped in the cave. When it became clear the boys were likely going to have to dive out, experts were sent in to teach them how to use scuba gear.

Like this: